Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Our Little Wordsmith

It always makes us laugh to listen to the words that Caitlyn uses. Ever since she started talking, she's been trying to out new words on us. I still remember at barely three, her saying that something was "hilarious." Occasionally, she's not even sure what they mean, but she tries to use the words anyway. Recently, we were at a friends' for dinner, and she informed the other kids that it would be "more appropriate" if they put their napkins on their laps. Her new favorite phrase is "so totally cool". Caitlyn's large vocabulary is probably a result of her being an avid reader. We also have never talked "baby talk" with her, and I think that has made a difference too. John David has recently started this same habit. Instead of just saying that he's hungry, he'll say that he's "really" hungry. Then when you question him further, he'll state, "I'm serious. I'm really serious." I love listening to the kids talk. Corey's vocabulary and speech have greatly improved over the last several months. And even though most people still can't understand him, we understand him fine at home. The kids are so honest about their emotions, and have such passion about things. Some of my favorite moments are spent listening to the random thoughts of the kids. Now that Caitlyn is getting older, you can really have some deep conversations about life with her. Everything is so simple to her, so black and white. Sometimes I think she's smarter than I am. Love you all, and thank you to God Almighty who has for now blessed us with these.

0 comments: