Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Behavior Ladder


Okay, so I had this new idea for a behavior chart. Since I am getting slower and increasingly tired, the kids have noticed that I've been letting things slide. They are taking advantage of this of course, and so I've been trying to think of a way to make them more accountable for their behavior. Anyway, this is our new "behavior ladder". Each of the kids have their own button that has velcro on the back. The top of the ladder is for good behavior, the bottom of the ladder is for bad behavior, and the kids move their buttons up and down accordingly, losing and gaining privileges along the way. So far, it's working great, but we'll see how it works in a week or so when the initial charm wears off! I asked Caitlyn what she likes the most about the behavior ladder. She said that she likes that they get a treat at the store (gum, candy, a special cereal, gummies, etc.) that is just for them and they don't have to share. Now this is only if they are at the very top of the ladder when I make a trip to the store, but the "not having to share" thing was a big motivation! She also said that she didn't like that there was no specific time table as to how long they lost their privileges. Of course these weren't her exact words, but I knew what she meant. When they get far enough down on the ladder to start losing privileges, they don't get those privileges back until they earn their way back up the ladder. It may take a day or two, or it may take a week. It depends entirely on them. I can understand why she wouldn't like that part. Caitlyn always wants to know exactly how long the punishment is going to last. :) Now don't get me wrong, the kids have not been being horrible, but they are definitely starting to test me. I figured I better nip this in the bud before it gets out of hand. Hopefully the new idea will work wonders, but then again it may crash and burn! :) We'll have to wait and see. If the weather holds up, I'm hoping to get some good pictures of Jeremy's new motorcycle tonight and I'll get them posted tomorrow. Love you all, and thank you to God Almighty who has for now blessed us with these.

1 comments:

Haven said...

I am so glad to have found your blog. Love reading it!